View Single Post
Old 03-03-2020, 06:46 PM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
When is it okay to retract a bid?

Here's what I've got going on. On eBay. I read the title of an item, looked at the item, and placed a bid. Later, upon closer examination, I realized that the title was inaccurate. The item for sale is not what is said in the title (although it's easily mistaken for it). I contacted the seller, told them about the problem, said that they probably want to re-list it, and that I'm happy to have my bid canceled if they do that. They responded saying "Sorry, my mistake." But they did not pull the listing, change the title, or cancel my bid. The next day I wrote back asking them to cancel my bid because of the inaccurate title, and they wrote back saying "sure, no problem".

That was yesterday. The listing is still up, with the wrong title, and they haven't canceled my bid. I don't think that they're up to anything shady - I've bought lots of things from them before with no problems. I suspect that giving the listing an inaccurate title was an honest mistake. But saying that they'll change the listing, and saying that they'll cancel my bid, and then doing neither one, is pretty confusing.

So, can I retract a bid here? I guess I mean that as both a question about eBay etiquette and a question about the rules around bid retraction. eBay says that you can retract a bid if the title of the item changes, or if you can't reach the seller. But the problem is, basically, that the title of the item didn't change, and that although I can reach the seller, what they say appears to have no connection to what they do.

Rather than pull your bid, why not see how it plays out and don't bid anymore. If you win remind the seller you asked to pull your bid and he said he would.