View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 11:31 AM

Hey Val, thanks for informing us of Roger's passing, and loading up the Washington POST obituary. This has hit me hard. When I read THE BOYS OF SUMMER in 1972, I was nearly 18, and a passionate fan of the 1936 Yankees and Ted Williams. Reading what can only be described as a masterpiece, that beautiful book served as a catalyst to me becoming deeply interested in the early 50s Dodgers, to go with my burgeoning enchantment with Mickey Mantle.

Two glaring facts I was unaware of were mentioned:

When he had finished writing THE BOYS OF SUMMER, he only had $380 in his bank account!!!!

Roger had to argue hard with his publisher over the title he had given his book, coming as it did from a line in a Dylan Thomas poem. The publisher wanted to name Kahn's book, "THE TEAM"; yuck, bug spit, toe jam!!!!! I'm sure glad Mr. Kahn was able to stand his ground and retain his simple, elegant title that's become a part of the American lexicon.

Just goes to show that the big boss might be gifted at making the big machine work, but his taste for the finer details isn't worth shit.

Roger Kahn, I stand and salute you sir and your memory. You will be missed. RIP, and may the Heavenly Father comfort, console, and help your family.

----Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 02-13-2020 at 11:30 AM.