View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 11:56 AM
Bill Gregory

Thank you so much, Nat. I really appreciate it. That makes a bit more sense to me, now. I'm still fighting through this insomnia after switching two medications, so my body is off balance, and my brain has been scrambled since I woke up yesterday. I'm going to re-read your post, and go back over to the Sabermetrics site tonight after I've gotten some rest.

I've been trying to modernize my statistical approach in all four sports for a while, but I think I'm going to just stick to baseball, for the time being, as it's my first love. That will ensure that I take it all the way to home plate, if you will, and I think I'll grasp some of the newer concepts more quickly with a strong base of knowledge. My plan is to write about the four North American professional sports (but focusing most on baseball), and film. So, I need to round it all out.

I'd give my left foot to go back in time, and watch Clemente play. My father grew up in Chicago, and took in Cubs games at Wrigley all the time. He started going in the late 50s, and saw Roberto multiple times. Oddly enough, he was a Milwaukee Braves fan more than anything. That was eerily prophetic, as we'd all live in the Milwaukee area for almost 20 years. Anyhow, a family friend back in Wisconsin knew one of the authors of this book, This Date in Pittsburgh Pirates History. I believe I still have it in storage. It's autographed inside, but I forget which author. It's been about 40 years.

I think I mentioned it previously. Anyway, that book came out in 1980, right after the Bucs won their last Series. It was "The Family" led by Willie Stargell, Dave Parker, Bill Madlock. The Brewers have always been my team, but a real affinity for the Pirates (and soon after, the other teams from the city. Since Milwaukee has never had an NHL team, the Penguins became my adopted team) came out of that book. That was my introduction to Honus Wagner, the Waner brothers, Ralph Kiner, Stargell. The Pirate history just knocked me out.

Roberto was larger than life as I grew up. Though he died when I was not even two years, he loomed large as my love for the game grew. When Youtube sprung up, and videos of the game from before I was born began to slowly collect, that's when I started to really get to see his play. The only other time I think I'd ever seen more than photos of him was on a few segments of This Week in Baseball. Good old Mel Allen. Clemente might be the most exciting player I've ever seen. He and Willie Mays. I'd put Griffey, Barry Bonds, Bo Jackson, and certainly Mike Trout in there with them. I always thought Paul Molitor was a hell of a lot of fun to watch, too. He could just flat out fly when he was healthy. He was the catalyst. "The Ignitor". I couldn't have been more lucky, sitting third base side with my Dad, or both parents if Mom felt up to sitting outside in the cold spring weather. Seeing Robin Yount and Molly side by side was the stuff of dreams. Not too many kids get to watch two future 3,000 hit club, Hall of Famers virtually from the start. My first game at old County Stadium was in 1979. Yount's sixth season, Molitor's second. Robin was only 23, and Molitor 21. I can't tell you how strongly the game got inside of me. It's probably my life's greatest passion. I could watch the game, and talk about it all day.

Off to try and get a few hours of shuteye. You guys have a great Saturday afternoon!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.