View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 06:37 PM
Mic.hael Mu.mby

Default re. horner

RMY Auctions has three Horner originals (not mounted) in his latest auction. If you check his archive, there have been a number of Horner originals for sale over the last year or so. You might want to check them out to see what the originals sell for. Nice images, although my wife says they remind her of Terry Gilliam's animated work with Monty Python. She expects the jaws to swing open and the subjects to start singing.

The Christie's East auction of BB Magazine photos in 1996 had a number of mounted Horner's and was deep in HOFers. Those are the most I have ever seen in one place at one time. That catalog turns up on eBay occasionally.

Thompson's dugout portraits, c. 1910, are really beautiful, but while there may have been a Paul Thompson, his stamp appears on a lot of photos that appear to have been taken by other photographers. Many of them are dead-on Conlon poses. Thompson's stamp often appears on Harris and Ewing photos, which were taken in Washington, D.C.

My feeling is, while there may have been a Paul Thompson running a photo agency, he wasn't taking the photos any more than the Fisher Brothers were standing on an assembly line in Detroit making car bodies for General Motors.

Re. Conlon....Conlon moved to New Jersey sometime in the late 1920s, hence the occasional two address stamps on the reverse of his early prints.
lumberjack