View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 04:55 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Although there could be a loss due to natural collectible market scenarios. I'd say your last statement about high grade card prices losing due to being tainted regardless of doctoring is a pipedream

Money does not lose money generally. There will be no need for a fire sale. These cards are secure by their financially stable owners until the next buyer lines up to win it at the next auction.

Low mid grade will always be for the collectors. I just don't see much changing from the current state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
I do not disagree that the driving factor in this issue is indeed money. A wiser man than I once wrote that the LOVE is money is the root of all evil (Thank you Paul).

My opinion is that there are far more collectors who collect for the fun of it and perhaps even the memories the hobby incites for them and not for the money. I strongly believe there is a much higher percentage of collectors who fall into this category and could care less about getting the highest grade possible or being the top dog on the registry. What I feel this means is that eventually, mid or low grade cards will become the norm and raw will once again make a come back and collectors who purchased these high grade cards will eventually lose money because their high grade cards will be tainted even if they are NOT doctored. There will still be speculators but I hope that this scandal will help separate a few of them out and help to eliminate some of the card doctors profits.

Maybe I am being a bit Pollyanna about this but I am still a hopeless romantic when it comes to this hobby.