View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 09:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeck View Post
I had taken a break from collecting and was living in California in 1988. I walked into a card shop and bought an SCD. I had never seen one before and found weekly auctions run by Johnny Adams Jr. I was high bidder on a NM/MT+ 1962 Bob Gibson and A NM/MT 1963 Stargell Rookie. Never thought much about trimming since I collected in the mid- late 70's. In the early 1990's I sent both off to PSA and both were deemed trimmed. Lesson learned. Fast forward to 2015 or so and I actually get a call at my shop from Johnny Adams Jr. looking for collections. I told him what I thought of him and why. He replied that he never trimmed a card, only pushed down a corner or two and taken wax off. He said he would stop by and make it up to me. Of course he never did. 31 years ago he was pushing trimmed cards.
Some of these guys partner with guys who actually do the work and don't do it themselves, but of course are equally culpable.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.