View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 04:51 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I sit back and reflect, what will the long term outcome of all this be?

The way I look at it to many people with lots of money and influence own HIGH Dollar Cards in holders, Registry Sets/Whether Altered or Not many Collectors do as well. Many have livelihoods or Multi Million Dollar Companies/Business that are dependent on this current card market staying strong or at least holding. None of the mentioned wants their cards to drastically drop in vale. They want the narrative to be, The Hobby Has Never Been Stronger It Keeps Growing and Going Up Ect.
This is why I believe it's All BEING ADDRESSED OR TAKEN CARE OF in the most Non Detrimental Way that has the LEAST DETRIMENTAL EFFECT ON PRICE/VALUE. Sure some will face consequences or changes of leadership, a few firings changes in policy ect. Is this good or bad who knows I can't predict.
Any precipitous drop in the market for slabbed cards will be caused by new buyers who have not bought into the fantasy that (in the case of high grade vintage cards) the slab bears any correlation to the true condition of the card. These prospective buyers, who have no stake whether slabbed cards hold their value, will demand to see provenance and/or other corroboration (e.g., a re grade from a company/technique using better methods to weed out alterations) that what they are buying is truly what it is represented to be. And, as has been discussed, even the provenance aspect could be susceptible to manipulation.

IMO the great majority of sophisticated experienced collectors/dealers know that high grade slabbed vintage cards are for the most part not what they are purported to be. And, given this reality, I believe that eventually the truth will come out and be reflected in the market value of such cards.