View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 04:17 PM
Val Kehl

Default Sunday pop quiz, especially for NY Yankees fans

One of the true joys for me of collecting vintage baseball cards is constantly learning new things about the players pictured on our cherished cards. My #1 collecting focus is cards of all the players on the Washington Senators 1924 one-and-only World Series Championship Team. (Note: my 2019 Nationals will soon be the second Washington team to win a WS)

I just learned that one of the Senators' pitchers threw the first no hitter in NY Yankees history on April 24, 1917, versus the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park. Keep in mind that the detested (by Yankees' fans) Red Sox were a powerhouse in those days, whereas the Yankees were anything but. Name this pitcher, who also played a key role in the 1924 WS victory. This may not be a hard quiz, so please don't resort to reference material.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.