View Single Post
Old 09-28-2019, 01:28 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

The marks do not seem to correspond to any of the silversmiths in Sheffield who made silverplate. The star and heart do not seem to show up on the list of marks used by any of the silversmiths. See http://www.silvercollection.it/dicti...rademarks.html The 'lion salient', the lion with both front paws raised, seems to be facing the wrong way. I also notice that this piece appears to be soldered onto the tray. My wife and I own quite a bit of silver from the 1780's through the 1940's from many different makers (Tiffany, Joseph Hemming, Josiah Williams & Co). Every piece, including the silverplated serving trays, have the makers marks stamped into the piece. The small piece with the makers marks also appears to have much less wear than the surrounding tray. I try to be a bit skeptical, but it would be great if the piece was fine. You may be able to find an antiques dealer who strictly deals in silver.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”