View Single Post
Old 09-27-2019, 04:54 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Many people don't know this, but Irv Young was often referred to as Cy Young, so they really didn't make an error with his name. By that time when the card was released, the original Cy Young was often called Old Cy Young. Heck, even 1908 pitcher Harley Young was called Cy and he went 0-for-3 in his only season in the majors.

The early years of baseball had no issue reusing nicknames for people with the same last name. Best example is that four players with the last name Freeman had the nickname Buck.
Well Irv might have picked up the nickname but he never played for Cleveland. And my point was folks pay large sums of money for a Cy Young of Clevland card and that is not what they get. I would guess that if PSA changed the flips to say who was really on the cards they would loose a significant portion of their value. I was at a Willow grove show in the early 90's with
A Briggs Young and I told 2 guys who were looking at it that it wasn't really Cy Young and they didn't buy. Sold it later to a guy working on the set who knew what it was.