View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 10:56 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
Here are the facts as I see them (in no particular order).

1. At the card shows of yesterday one very rarely saw a T206 that by today's standards would grade close to a real 8.
2. For a card to grade 8 or higher, assuming it was not damaged while in the pack, it would need to be gingerly removed from the pack and subsequently treated with tremendous care and essentially never handled.
3. The are very few oversized cards today compared with yesteryear.
4. The incremental increase in price from converting a 5 or 6 to an 8 or higher is staggering.
5. There is a significant population of known card doctors.
6. PSA spends very little time examining cards, which examinations are done with unsophisticated methods and in many instances performed by inexperienced graders.
7. When I blow up T206s graded 8 or higher from an online catalog that allows high resolution examination, I can literally see on a majority of them cardboard shavings and/or uneven borders/edges.

One of my father's favorite sayings was when one sees a hoofmark on a trail in the woods, expect to find a horse, not a zebra.

Applying that saying to the issue at hand, IMHO;

horse -- the great majority of T206 8's or higher are altered
zebra -- they are unaltered
Of course proof and evidence are important, but, in the hobby, so are common sense. Most do, but some collectors lack it.