View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 02:24 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Chuck- I don’t understand what you are suggesting. Personally, i’ve collected what I collect long before grading was around. I have few graded cards and, if PSA and SGC went away tomorrow, it would not have a significant impact on my collecting. Should I stop collecting because of the current card doctoring? The point I am making is that the hobby is an amalgam of different types of collectors. Some, like high grade registry guys, are directly impacted by the current scandal and might be advised to rethink their collecting strategy. Others, like myself and other old time collectors, don’t grade much and although we find card doctors equally repugnant, are not directly impacted by them to the same degree.
I fall into this category as well...been collecting cards 43+ years...only vintage almost 30...i've never been too condition sensitive. I really like the collection I have put together...and I'm not rushing to get out...BUT...I've certainly changed my purchasing habits as of lately...and while I also find the grim reality of this hobby to be repugnant and shocking...I'm happy still collecting albeit on a different level.

I agree that many with lots of $$$$ tied up in high grade "commodities" and/or big buck cards...just keep chugging along hoping that things will continue as they have so far. And many seem not to really care if their cards are altered as long as they are not fake.

So has there been such growth in the hobby the last 5 or so years to make green cobbies in vg worth 10-15K? Will this be a 50K card in our lifetimes?

Who knows?

I just hope people are punished and changes do occur to improve the hobby...and I think the hobby is moving towards values based on the eye appeal of a card and not the technical grade...with alterations not mattering to more and more "collectors/investors" as time goes by.