View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 08:08 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I may be naive, but the FBI is involved and I don't think they are going to leave things status quo. The FBI doesn't want to be fielding another investigation in a year or so with evidence from BODA with the same bad actors. Much like autographs, I see a big change. We will probably always have dishonest people altering cards and trying to pass them by TPGs, the same as we see with autos, but at a smaller scale. I had several dealers at the National tell me that TPGs are under pressure to tighten things up. They may lose business from card doctors, but they are a lot more profitable than they were in the past. It is a better option than dealing with the FBI. Maybe they will be able to meet their grading deadlines.

I talked with a number of collectors at the National about this too. The consensus is they are taking more care and buying less. When they buy something, they are no longer trusting TPGs and the slab. They are measuring and closely examining cards before deciding to keep them or send them back. I wouldn't put it past those who are heavily invested in slabs to be buying/shilling auctions to make it appear like things are still going strong while they try to liquidate. We saw that happen in 2016 with certain rookie cards. I am hopeful that at some point a new company will come along with new technology to detect altered cards, making it close to impossible for doctors to pass off their work on collectors.
+1