View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 11:10 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I've been in the business thirty-five years, and while I know there are many passionate collectors who love collecting and love baseball history, what I've taken away is that this hobby is first and foremost about money. And if telling the truth about some of the problems with baseball cards will cost them money, in some cases quite a bit, they are going to fight it to the death.

The revelations of the past few months, which have been known by some of us for over a decade but are now widely known by many, could potentially cost some an incredible amount of money. And those with a major investment will not take this lightly.

Nevertheless, the truth marches on. It's there for you to accept or reject.
The first paragraph states my impression as well. And, as a fact-based and truth searching person, I have zero respect for those kinds of people. However, those kinds of people are only a portion of the hobby. Anyone who reads this and other boards knows there are many collectors concerned with facts, the truth and, shockingly, accurate grading and authentication.

Happily, I think that facts, knowledge and truth generally win out, later is sooner. When facts become common hobby knowledge, the knowledge wins out. Why? Because everyone knows.

I recommend reading, or reading about, Thomas Kuhn's Structures of Scientific Revolutions.

Last edited by drcy; 08-08-2019 at 11:16 AM.