View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 07:41 PM
Jeff
Je.ff For.teza

I originally started this thread to try and figure out what a handful of un-checklisted N284 Buchner (like) cards might be. Yes…there were 3…and I randomly chose the Toole card as the example to share. My focus is non-sports, but I like Buchner cards in general, so when I came across this baseball grouping I was interested in learning more about them especially since the lot may include a few cards (or cut-outs) that nobody has seen before.

The total collection had over 60 cards in it. All cards had evidence of album removal, usual age toning, and as an overall group just looked right to me. All but 5 of the cards were non-sports. The 5 sports cards looked like N284’s; 1 with the standard printed back, 4 with blank backs. 2 of the 5 cards appear on current N284 checklists.

As I mentioned above, my original post was in search of information. I never said that the Toole card was mine. The collection of 60+ cards were a part of a smaller, regional, usually non-card auction house’s “active” offering. I know that others on this board were aware of the active listing status through pm, but I wasn’t going to out this active listing in this thread. I’m sure you get that.

All I had to go by were the same pictures you looked at (plus the others I did not post), some basic size and provenance info passed along by the auction house, and your expert opinions. I did not have a dog in this fight and could have easily opted out of participating in the auction if there was clear, convincing evidence of “fake” work in-play.

I wasn’t convinced of that, and actually think that one poster here may have had ulterior motives, working really hard to convince the Net54 baseball community that the Toole card wasn’t from the late 1880’s. I suspect that he was aware of the active listing.

Below are pictures of all 5 Buchner (or Buchner like) cards or cut-outs that were in the auction. Originally the auction house only posted one backside pic, and that was of the printed back, so I assumed wrong in my original post that the others were the same. I’ve also included a few of the non-sport images.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0253_5tobaccocobaseballcards.jpg (46.7 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Peoples o.jpg (46.7 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg Peoples r.jpg (33.1 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg Welch O.jpg (45.4 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg Welch r.jpg (29.0 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg Clark o.jpg (44.3 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg Clark r.jpg (27.3 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg Phillips o.jpg (43.9 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Phillips r.jpg (29.0 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg Racing o.jpg (48.4 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg Racing r.jpg (53.2 KB, 191 views)