View Single Post
Old 07-13-2019, 04:50 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
That is a good point. I think giving a fair (and stated upfront) return period, including a duration for the collector to check out the item and get second opinions, is, well, fair.

Of course some collectors want, and sometimes insist in preacher tones from the rooftops, on a double their money back guarantee to infinity plus one year and rights to the firstborn. However, as I say "A lot of people want a lot of things. I wanted a pony as a kid."
I've mentioned this before, the stamp and coin guy I've been going to for more than 30 years took back a coin he'd sold several years before that had just been rejected as altered. (never slabbed, the original sale was possibly before slabbing existed, it failed on its first trip to TPG.)
The coin was obviously altered, and he'd somehow missed that years earlier. I got to inspect it firsthand with a detailed explanation of why it was no good and what to look for.

That's the model I've always tried to use in any of my dealings.
At the bike shop we had I think a 30 or 90 day warranty on any work done. Problems usually come up right away, so either is usually way longer than needed.
I did a job as a warranty repair at a bit over 2 years. It was obvious the bike hadn't been ridden, and that I'd blown it that day. My exact comment was "What the heck was I thinking when I did that? Anyway, I'll fix it for free. "

In the end, I got far more business from people he referred than the repair cost.

So yes, if I sold a graded card, and it turned out to be proven to be altered, I would take it back. Probably even after a crackout and regrade if I was sure it was the same card.