View Single Post
Old 06-29-2019, 08:11 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I've never been enamored of the "preserve it for posterity" argument vis a vis privately owned objects. Whether some guy has a jersey in his collection or whether Topps makes it into a few hundred relic cards that a few hundred collectors enjoy is irrelevant to me since I am never going to own the jersey and will never get the chance to enjoy it intact. The utilitarian argument would prefer the jersey cards. If the owner of the item really wants to have it preserved and enjoyed, put it in a museum. If not, leave out the holier than thou part. You don't like it, don't collect it. Me, personally, I just try not to crap on what others like.

That said, if the item is going to be in a card, my only preference is that it is aesthetically pleasing. My pet peeve is when they chop off a piece of the signature. I've been shopping for a Lefty O'Doul jersey card. Haven't found one I like yet--the closest was a really nice item with a uni cut and an auto, but of "efty O'Dou"--but if I do find one I am certainly not going to give two seconds' thoughts to the sanctimony some collectors may express towards it. Pay my mortgage and you can tell me what to do.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-29-2019 at 08:15 PM.