View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 06:18 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

I started in 1976 when my daughter gave me a Hostess Cub card for my birthday. I then started buying the new stuff but not a whole lot because I was financially strapped. In 1984 I got better and started buying and putting together sets. As the newer brands came out I continued to buy it all. As a Cub guy I would get all the Cubs from those years and started to go back in time to 1952 with my Cubs. I then hooked up with a seller and continued to get the new Cubs and continued to buy everything to put together sets. I finally realized, when the 1 of 1 and 1 of 2 and etc. that I could not put together sets anymore. In 1992 quit buying the new stuff and started looking at getting the Cubs before 1952. I had a lot of fun going to different card shops looking for vintage Cubs. Made many mistakes like passing up a lot of non-Cub 1952's when I had the chance to get most, including Mantle, at a good price, but I was not too smart and passed because "they weren't Cubs". Now I have fun looking all over (card shops are extinct in my area), at auctions and this site for vintage Cubs I need. I still frequent antique shops looking for vintage baseball as I travel around.