View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 11:23 AM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Well, this entire conversation has evolved a bit since it first started. Martin, you've done a wonderful job of deflecting the conversation away from PWCC knowingly selling altered cards and working with card doctors and to TPGs needing to do what they have proven they can't. Let's remember that this started because Brent decided he was going to play card God and change the definition of alteration. And folks on BO showing how he sells cards that get consigned back to him after they have been altered and passed through a TPG. Why? Because TPGs suck at their job of course. We all agree to that. The problem is what PWCC is doing, not that TPGs can't tell an alteration when they see one. You're constant defense of PWCC is what a lot of us don't understand and why there are so many folks here questioning your motives. You said you don't have any motives. I call BS on that statement. If you didn't have motives you wouldn't have started this thread in the wake of the other threads already rolling. I like that you have an opinion about TPGs needing to do a better job. And I can talk to you about that without throwing out insults. I'm not trying to put you down here, just trying to explain why you're getting so much backlash. Keep up your fight against the TPGs Martin. But realize what else is going on other than how they suck and we all need to mature as a hobby. Remember what started this.

Andy Huntoon
Andy, I really appreciate your feedback. If I had a motive it is to challenge the system and deliver a message to folks. Throw out ideas and let this boards knowledge serve as a think tank of sorts.

In my mind when I do a root cause analysis it comes down to the TPG.
I think most of us can agree to that. But general census is to give them a free pass because they appear too big of an entity to care about our issues.
If we live and die by the grades then the name on those slabs should take responsibility.

That's why efforts like PWCC tenets and redefining conservation vs restoration is a conversation that needs to happen at the TPG level. I don't think anyone is above it all and be the "card god". But it takes some very significant circumstances in addition to influential people to get something to happen. That is my only reason on giving PWCC the benefit of the doubt here. Maybe they can take the lead and perhaps doing something good from it.

I brought a very specific example with CGC because they have virtually removed this problem from the comic industry. I still think the solution to most of this can be accomplished if card TPG's does something similar to CGC.