View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 11:24 AM
Peter Spaeth

I guess the question you have to ask is, why are people willing to pay those price differentials for an arbitrary half grade difference? In some cases I think the answer is almost circular -- because the market says they're worth more. Sort of like in the old days, cards were worth what Beckett said they were worth, despite its claim that it was merely reflecting prices not determining them. Purely from a collecting standpoint, I'm not sure.

And adding to the element of arbitrariness are all the crackouts, bumps, etc. etc. So many cards go through different grades before landing in their current holder.

Plus, and I couldn't prove it, or it would cost me a lot to do so, but I have a strong suspicion all submitters are not equal -- or some are more equal than others. (I've always been tempted to buy say 250 random 10s from a certain seller and resubmit them myself and post the results.)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-23-2019 at 11:33 AM.