View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 08:23 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Just out of curiosity, what do you all think the run-of-the-mill collector picking up either pre- or postwar cards at shows in the 1980's and 90's really dealt with in terms of trimming / alterations? Supposedly the "rampant" level of it back then was why PSA came to be in the first place. Was it worse then? Worse now with what we are seeing out of PWCC?

Just curious as to what some of the speculated difference in the eras was. I was a kid collector back then who would have been totally blindsided by trimming, but I generally couldn't afford vintage with sharp corners anyway - so maybe I lucked out.
As a kid collecting in the early 80s I was duped a few times into buying counterfeit cards...a frojoy ruth sheet...a fake mayo. I bought a 1971 Thurman Munson at a show over 20 years ago and was later shown that the edges were marked in to make it look better.

I think the doctoring has gotten much more advanced over the last 20 years mostly due to third-party grading and the values these cards can bring