View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 07:14 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
I think Peter is spot on. And it’s the same with forged signatures. As long as a slabbed card is accepted as a liquid asset, criminals will be flooding the grading companies trying to get worthless garbage into their holders. PSA, SGC, and Beckett are all very good at sorting through the garbage, but well done fraud will sneak in occasionally. And if it gets caught by enterprising collectors with days and weeks of research, it highlights the limitations of the system.

If you want to spend thousands on graded cards, you must accept that system that graded your card very likely devoted less than a minute or two on your card.

Someone really ought to invent a grading company for high end cards, where the company spends a few days at least on each individual card that gets submitted — check each paper fiber, get a few different eyes in each card, do some research into the history of the card on-line and otherwise, build a database of crooked submitters that gets shared with the FBI and local law enforcement, keep records of each card and track the history going forward, with a digital notification if the seal ever gets broken, and other fun stuff I’m just making up.
The PSA grader is overworked. They clearly do not have enough help in that area if you consider their turnaround times are double and triple of what they say they are.

And a grading service for only high end cards would not work unless it said PSA on the label. I would bet the large majority would not want their cards scrutinized to that extent also. It would be a money losing proposition for anyone who tried it (except for maybe PSA).