View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 11:20 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I collect Taub premiums.

The one that LOTG sold is a store display with an easel back. That is the format you typically see.

Typical is a misnomer: they are quite uncommon. The same image found its way into a postcard, which also helps date the premium to 1932:

The PC is rare.

I looked at the one Leon bought for quite a while. It is in a size I'd not seen before for that particular image, but there is another premium in a similar size:

I also noticed the different caption across the top of Leon's as compared to the others, and the different name style. My guess is that the image and art were repurposed.

As for the back, that was my hesitation in buying it. The one with Vance and McGraw is a photo on heavy paper. I don't think Leon's was skinned but I do suspect that it was mounted to something for framing purposes. The ones I've played with that are on thicker cardboard with a glossy plastic-like coating. Here is another I acquired recently which dates to a few years later, also easel backed and larger format:

I suspect there are more premiums to be found; Taub was very into the athlete endorsements. Here's the other PC I've found:

Regardless of the back, Leon's item is a very nice piece.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-08-2019 at 11:37 PM.