View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 08:03 PM
Shain

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
+1
I agree with all of these points. As a younger collector (ripe age of 37) who just wanted to spend a hard-earned life savings on baseball cards, started seriously buying last summer 2018, I must say, I was in for a big surprise/disappointment when I started buying up cards on Ebay.

I started with a 1941 Play Ball Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio, simply due to the historical significance of that year (last 0.400 batting average, 56-game hitting streak, last year before those players sacrificed time to WWII). I used Beckett as a guide to gauge the value of the cards I was buying, simply because Beckett magazine is what I remembered as a kid as being the definitive price guide for cards.

I continued buying and buying and until, thanks to certain sellers (here's looking at you, Ed Hazuka!) began answering my questions and educating me as to vintagecardprices.com and PSA SMR price guides, the difference between PSA/SGC/BVG, etc.

Suddenly, it began to become very clear that there was an essential cold, calculated, scrutinizing monopoly on the value of cards. I thought "the older and more worn, the better!" but boy was I wrong!

Suddenly, my child-like joy of simply buying "old cards I'd never thought I would own" philosophy eventually morphed into trying to acquire the best centered and best PSA grades I could possibly afford.

Now, months later, and having invested in a $70K + value collection of cards, I can honestly look back and say: boy do I miss that original feeling, that original passion, of simply adoring those worn beat up cards for what they were.. before all the scrutiny and PSA-grading mentality took over the way I looked at baseball cards.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk