View Single Post
Old 03-31-2019, 11:49 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Tim (promethius) could probably answer; he's watched a lot more than I have. But they've pulled some very high grade Hall of Fame rookies in the past year that many would be proud to own. I watched them pull a sharp (slightly OC) Roger Staubach RC last week. They've pulled a few Jeter 93 SPs. I know they pop their big hits up on social media, so you could look it up; and they also do PSA reveal segments so you can check to see the hits and what they ended up scoring.
I think I started watching in November when they were doing a 52 Topps set break. When I first started, I would buy in some spots of some older stuff but nothing too crazy like the 71 Topps rack at $250/slot. At this point I am basically resigned to only buying into set breaks...for the most part. The allure of the possibility of hitting whatever card in really high grade has worn off. I hit a 70 Topps Rose in a break in Nov that they sent in for grading, talking about it being a 9. Came back a 7. Now, there was a pinch to the corner that I could see. Not sure how it happened but it wasn't on the card in front of it in the pack as I got that one too. Anything after that I would tell them I will send in on my own. That's nothing against them, I just like to see the flaws on a card before I send it in to know what to expect when I get it back and not be disappointed.
As far has high grade hall of fame rookies? Maybe, but the majority of what I see that are stars and hof'ers may be mint but mostly off center. Someone hit a gorgeous 75 Topps mini Aaron that came back a 9 and that was a solid hit. I didn't see it pulled, but someone hit a PSA 10 on a Philadelphia Tarkenton, maybe. I can't remember but it was about a $5k card.
The concept is a great idea and for sure a money maker. While I wasn't an unopened collector before, watching this has driven me to it. I'm not a purist and I don't begrudge anyone what they do to feed their families, it just bothers me watching some of these rare, old packs get opened. That being said I watch (or have it on the background, listening) purely for enjoyment and to see what someone might pull. There are some good guys that actively participate, obviously with much deeper pockets than mine, lol and they are good to interact with as well.
Lol, I did plead with Leighton not to rip a 66 Topps rack pack I saw he purchased. I was late on scene or would have tried to pick that one up myself. He said he might just put that one back in his personal collection and to this point I haven't seen it ripped. I do hope that stays intact.
So, not sure if I answered any question or shed any light, but that is my insight into it.