View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 06:09 PM
Shane

Default Did I just discover that the Topps Dice Game cards are from 1963 instead of 1961?

I don't want to go out on a limb and say this definitively....but I will ask the question......did I just discover that the 1961 Topps Dice Game cards are actually from 1963?

So....as many of you know, I am a Cardinals team set collector. Like most advanced collectors, I have the impossible Dice Game cards on my want list. Before this evening, my list included the Stan Musial and the Bill White. Of course, I will probably never own those 2 cards, but it is nice to dream, right?

This evening, I get a text from a fellow Cardinals collector asking if I had seen the current Mile High Auction with the Dice Game Bill White and Dick Groat. I told him, no, but that I would check them out. Then, I said that Groat was a Pirate in 1961. He sent me a picture of the Bill White and also the Dick Groat. I looked real close, and sure enough, Dick Groat was in a Pirates uniform....but....an "STL" was painted on his hat! Whoa! Groat didn't play for the Cardinals until 1963. So, I did a little research and discovered that Dick Groat was traded to the Cardinals on November 19, 1962.

To me, that would totally rule out these cards being from 1961. There is only a small window for them to be produced in 1962 (November 19th - December 31st). It looks to me that these cards were released in 1963. I have never heard anyone talk about this before. Am I off my rocker?

Here is the Mile High Auction -

http://www.milehighcardco.com/1961_T...-LOT62671.aspx