View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 07:28 AM
De.rek Gre.nce

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
he chose not to read the thread, because he said not concerned after operation dug out......that must have cleaned out all the fraud, and the auto market recovered.....

I know the auto market won't collapse because of that post alone......goes to show, some collectors would rather ignore the problem, than be part of the solution..poster didn't even want to read the thread...didn't even want to attempt to brainstorm a solution..so they will blindly collect the autos anyway....ignorance is bliss.....just blindly accept what the opinion of the tpg is...

of course there are problems detecting trimmed cards....some probably are a little tough to detect.....

BUT JUST ADMIT IT!

then let's come up with solutions...

we are the customers and should demand better service....

like more provenance or extra graders on the piece/card...ect....

demand better service so shit like this is reduced even more ....both with autos and regular cards....

the hardcore auto collectors are definitely not going to want to hear a certain percentage of the collection is fake....I know I wouldn't want to think that if I was very heavily vested in autos....

fact is, just to easy to copy and fake autos and it was proven again on a fairly large scale....

I'm sure that was just the tip of the ice berg!! '33 goudeys 52 topps ect ect...

very sad that some don't want to be part of the solution, bury their heads in the sand, and accept such huge blunders WHICH COULD EASILY be avoided...

vintageclout, use some clout if you are a "big baller" auto guy and demand better standards....

since you are in a "big league" auto collector and I am not.....you obviously are super wise
Okay, I don’t think I said whole in my original post. I didn’t read the WHOLE thread! I stopped early on because it just started to get into bickering back and forth and THAT’S what I was ignoring 😊 The topic itself is interesting! I actually posed the same question over on SCN, but I think it got overlooked haha I’m 24 and started collecting around 17 or so. I wasn’t really around for the whole Operation Bullpen fiasco. I don’t know what autograph collecting was like before that happened, and I don’t know the full effect it had on the hobby shortly after. That was actually part of the question I asked on SCN. In present day, autographs still seem to be widely collected from my limited point of view, which is why I said if that couldn’t stop people from buying autographs then I’m sure this won’t affect it much at all! I’d be interested to hear what others experiences were surrounding that.

I’ll preface this by saying I don’t submit too many autographs to TPG’s as I usually just get them at shows or send to private signings. As for that side of things, I think it would be cool to have a camera at every signing table and you get a picture of your item being signed right then and there and they just build that cost into the price of the autograph. I figure people are already spending hundreds of dollars on a single auto, so what’s $10 or $20 more 🤷🏻*♂️ Or have people pay extra for it. Idk! I haven’t done any analysis on it haha I’d personally like to see it be a requirement. This would be nice for cards because I usually get rookie cards signed and I don’t want a stinkin’ sticker on the back of it! It’d be cool if there was some sort of invisible ink to put on cards that won’t ruin them too. Plus, it’ll help eliminate the cases of people bringing up random items that they brought from home to get stickered. Maybe even put a GoPro on the head of the athlete signing and you get the video of the encounter too (half joking &#128522.

I don’t know much about the current process they have when analyzing the autographs or who is doing it when people send in for review, but I think having multiple people look at it would be great because I know sometimes opinions can differ. Again, probably not cost effective, so raise the price! I’d rather them raise the prices to have more eyes look at it and be as accurate as possible than being inexpensive, quick, and sloppy. A little transparency would be nice too. Perhaps saying who it is that reviewed the autograph.