View Single Post
Old 12-29-2018, 07:15 AM

Hi, Jeff,

This is a good thread and I'll respond with more details after our son departs for L.A. tomorrow--too much to do today!

Postcard backs are rumored to exist, but as Jeff noted, I have never seen one either. The Mack example is the first one I have seen that was sent as a postcard. I would have to physically examine the card to determine if the postcard divider was hand drawn or printed.

I also think the set was issued between 1911-1914 for a number of reasons including that Tinker is listed in three variations as a member of the Cubs, and as a manager for Cincinnati (1913) and Chicago Federal League, Whales (1914). The curious thing about Tinker is that he's pictured wearing a Cubs uniform. I also have two cards with 1914 written on the back, "Guy Coons / March 1, 1914." This would have been before the season began suggesting the cards were released early. I have attached my Lajoie to illustrate the Coons signature. I should note, too, that my Mitchell, who is identified as a Pittsburgh player, also has the Coons writing. Mitchell played for the Pirates in 1913. Intriguing stuff.

Oh, and I've never seen a scorecard back with evidence of someone having kept score. All mine are blank.

More later,
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tinker .jpg (72.6 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg Lajoie .jpg (81.6 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg Lajoie bk.jpg (76.0 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by Michael Peich; 12-29-2018 at 07:21 AM.