View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 12:11 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Dan Paley

This news of Dan's passing away is hard for me to believe. Dan, or I, call one another usually every month. It was about a month ago when Dan called me.
We had our typical hour (or so) of conversation, and I did not sense that any thing was wrong with him. Nor did he hint that any thing was wrong. As usual,
Dan was his jovial self....which he would always start off the conversation with some bit of BB trivia.

I first met Dan at Tony Carrafiell's Valley Forge BB card Show in 1981. Dan was the local (Philly area) Variations & Errors BB card expert. He was interested
in an article I had written which I submitted to Bob Lemke for the Baseball Cards Magazine regarding the 1949 BOWMAN set variations.

Dan and I became instant friends, despite the fact that he was an avid Mets fan, and I an avid Yankees fan …...and, you would have gotten quite a laugh
if you heard Dan's convoluted explanation of why he hated the Philles (his hometown team).

Every year, since 1985, Danny and I would drive up to Cooperstown for HOF weekend and set up at the BB card Show (initially at RedMan Hall and then the
VFW Bldg. on Main Street). Those were some really great shows for "Talkin BB", and for selling and buying....fabulous "walk-ins".

Danny's connection with Bob Schmierer (they originally graduated from Cheltenham H.S., PA), got us into Bob's Willow Grove Show. And, the rest is history.

My wife and I will really miss Danny....for he was quite the character.

GOD Bless your soul, Danny.

TED Z