View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 07:54 AM

Default Exact same thing

[QUOTE=Marchillo;1831942]While this goes to show the flaws in their opinion, this is actually a bit comforting (where really no comfort can come from this thread).

I get a few autos every year at the MAB show in Cooperstown. You go through the hotel, come out the back, then go to the front of the building again to get a cert from JSA. They didn’t watch the item get signed, they don’t ask for proof of the signing ticket, and they only look at the item to verify the signer and inscription. This process takes less than a minute to complete and is an excercise in book keeping rather than authentication. Whose to say that a guy signing at that show has a high price (Randy Johnson) and someone walks up with 5 decent fakes. Those are all most likely getting stickers and a cert card.

I saw this exsct same thing at the exact same show in 2012 (so it’s been the process there for years) and thought the exact same thing. I decided on that day that I would only collect autographs that I received in person. I am not an autograph collector (just get a few players I wanted), so I do not study the autographs enough to provide me with the knowledge to identify fakes versus real. And I’ve

But, at this point, it appears there are a plethora of fakes “authenticated” and, I assume, these fakes are now used as exemplars. I just don’t know how anyone knows what’s real or fake at this point (obviously the “authenticators” don’t) unless you see player sign it with your eyes or have iron clad provenance. I feel like operation bullpen fell on deaf ears and the “romanticism” of owning a signed pre-war card blinded peoples rationale thought!

In reference to a few people’s comments about this not being isolated to T206s, I completely agree; however, I think it will be more difficult to pinpoint the before and after of these other series. When I go to card shows, dealers have binders of low grade common 1933 Goudey cards (perfect for this forgery scam); so I think it is less likely cards from other series will have a fingerprint copy on internet.

Lastly, I feel horrible for everyone that got burned in this scam and hope that they receive retribution (REA response speaks volumes to me on why many consider them an industry leader) and incredible work by Manny in trusting his gut when he smelled a rat!!!

@ndy k3nn3dy