View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 07:34 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If we
Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
The economy is doing well.

When it goes south (and inevitably it will), people will be forced to sell their cards to pay expenses and large quantities of quality supply will flood the market.

These overpriced dealers won't escape the bloodbath and will be the first to faceplant into the turf.

Nature will take care of it.

"the time to buy is when there's blood in the streets." - Baron Rothschild

"Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.” - Warren Buffett
“Wasting away again in Margaritaville” - Jimmy Buffett

Sorry.

Many part time sellers use BINS to list items they would not sell except for the price asked. They don’t really want to sell.

Some sellers see no need to discount big names like Ruth or Mantle. Why should they? Holding vintage Ruth cards has been one of the best moves over the last several years.

Another factor: replacing an inventory of prewar baseball cards is not like replacing an inventory of cleaning supplies. It is very difficult. A seller has to wring out the maximum return and speed is just one component to consider.

Unless I am raising bail I don’t need to sell an appreciating card quickly and I have little incentive to sell cheap.

If eBay was to charge a listing fee for repeat BINS I would simply stop listing them. That is not in eBay’s best interest. eBay is a consignment store where the consignor has all the cost of inventory storage and shipping. COMC actually takes custody of the inventory and it charges a fee for storage. With no physical inventory costs eBay is best served by maxing out it’s virtual inventory. That is done by allowing people who are willing to pay for a store to list a lot of stuff at no cost. eBay gets its fee for the store subscriptions and it gets a lot of inventory in return. I have 500 listings a month with the basic store. If eBay charged a fee to roll over my inventory I would drop the subscription. Subscription revenue is steady and desired sale revenue is sporadic.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-04-2018 at 07:46 AM.