View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 11:40 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
It wouldn't be a big deal (to me at least) if 511 wasn't such an iconic number. You mention 511 to any serious baseball fan and they should know it's Cy Young's win total.

Baseball lives for iconic numbers. I still find it completely ridiculous that every year on the anniversary of Pete Rose breaking Ty Cobb's hit record that absolutely nothing is mentioned, despite it being known for over 30 years that Cobb actually finished with 4,189 hits, not 4,191. Hit 4,192 was the moment he celebrated it and anyone who saw it, remembers it, but it needs to be called what it is. You just don't gloss over the actual historic moment because someone added wrong years ago.

I've found other mistakes and not shared them here, but this one is a pretty big deal and has some major proof that the game didn't count. The local paper didn't even print a boxscore, which could be a fourth example if I knew how to show something that wasn't there.
Iconic numbers change all the time. When I was a kid, Ty Cobb had a career .367 average, Hack Wilson got 190 RBI, Charles Radbourn got 60 wins, Hugh Duffy hit .438, Dutch Leonard had a 1.01 ERA, Walter Johnson had 414 wins, and so on.

We need to recognize the correct numbers.