View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 01:05 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

As a photograph guy, an example of provenance being helpful is when you have a photo with a famous image but without any photographers stamp on it. In cases, the provenance, or sales history, shows or gives evidence that it is by the famous photographer. For example, provenance can show it came from the archives of the magazine he worked for or even his estate. In one case, I had unstamped photographs by a famous photographer where the photos came from his landlord who sold his effects when the photographer left the country without paying his due rent. I later talked to the photographer and he acknowledged that the photos had been his. He didn't ask for the photos back, but did ask me to scan them for him.

But, obviously. this is a case where provenance is important to identification and authenticity, not condition grade or historical prestige (other than as it relates to authentication).

My philosophy on cards is if it's only worth something if it's graded 9 or 10, it's probably not much of a card.

Last edited by drcy; 01-28-2018 at 01:15 PM.