View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 08:39 PM
Marty

Default 1912 World Series Panorama - Red Sox and Giants – info/advice?

Hi gang! I appreciate this great forum and everyone’s willingness to share information. I am looking for some help on an item I recently picked up. I collect (amongst many other things!) items relating to Hugh Bedient, who was a pitcher for the Red Sox from 1912-1914, and with Buffalo of the Federal League in 1915. I recently picked up an interesting item, and I am looking for information and advice. The item is a panorama from the 1912 World Series. It features a game action picture from the October 8th opening game of the series at the Polo Grounds, as well as two team panoramas of the Giants and eventual World Champion Red Sox. The item is on a nice slightly glossy paper stock, and when unfolded measures roughly 41” x 15”. As you can see, it has some wear and tear on the edges, and a piece of lower right corner is missing, but nothing that impacts the images. The item states that it is a “Supplement to the Index, The Illustrated Weekly - October 12, 1912.” I haven’t had any luck tracking down that publication, but I am guessing that this was probably not the only baseball supplement they produced. The game photo and the Red Sox team photo are credited to Underwood and Underwood, while the Red Sox photo is credited to Carl T. Horner. Does anyone have any info on the origins of this? The person I got it from said it came from descendants of the Spink family, but I don’t see any tie from this item to the Sporting News.
I am also looking for advice on how to preserve and display the item. Clearly things like acid free backing and UV protection are required, but not really sure how to best go about it. I don’t believe the value would make professional restoration an option, but I would like to display it and make sure it lasts. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2982_full.jpg (86.5 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2985_red_sox_crop.jpg (89.1 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2986_giants_crop.jpg (91.4 KB, 365 views)