View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 07:19 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
BEST - Brooks Robinson

Brooks was my hero growing up as well as my families favorite player. Likely if you didn’t follow the Orioles I don’t really think you can truely understand how great a player Brooksie was for the Birds. I have met Brooks several times over the years and it was just the same, every time, like I was his friend and he was so glad to see me. I remember the first time I met Brooks, I was so nervous to meet my hero, I just kind of rambled. He said “why don’t we take a picture together”. I guess he noticed I was nervous; he was always so gracious. In tribute my son is named Brooks after my hero. Love the quote, "Brooks (Robinson) never asked anyone to name a candy bar after him. In Baltimore, people named their children after him." - Gordon Beard.

Worst - Hank Aaron

Not that a person is obligated to be nice at a signing, but not even acknowledge anyone, nor even look up while they are at a signing to me I personally don’t really care for.
This was EXACTLY my experience with both of these guys. I got both Brooks and Aaron at the same show in 1992 (see post 3 above). Brooks was just insanely nice and accomodating, chatting with me and my friend, posing for a picture, putting a personal message on his autograph, etc. He just went out of his way to be nice to us.

Then getting Aaron's autograph was the most impersonal, rule bound, unpleasant experience ever. They might as well have had a guy with a bullhorn shouting at all us plebians in line:

"Thou shalt not speak to Mr. Aaron, thou shalt not make eye contact with Mr. Aaron, thou shalt not do anything to make Mr. Aaron aware of your existence in close physical proximity to Mr. Aaron....."

Since that day Brooks has been one of my all time favorites (despite not being an O's fan), while Aaron I couldn't care less for.

Here is Brooks Robinson with two awkward teenagers who are huge fans of his today thanks to this meeting 25 years ago!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MeandBrooksand Mike.jpg (63.2 KB, 610 views)

Last edited by seanofjapan; 01-15-2018 at 07:22 PM.