View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 11:18 AM
Derek D@vis

Best - Luke Appling - Appling asked my friend and I to sit down a chat when you saw us walking around the back fields in West Palm during spring training. We pulled up some folding chairs and spoke with him for about 15 minutes. I wish I knew what I do know at the time (teen), so I would have appreciated more then.

Best #2 - Roger Maris - At a Yankees legends golf tourney in Ft. Lauderdale, I was getting autos on a ball and had a cast on my arm. When I asked Roger Maris to sign my ball, he noticed the cast with my friends signatures on it and asked if he could sign it too. Of course I said yes. He really couldn't have been nicer. Shortly after, I ran into Joe Dimaggio to get the ball signed. I asked if he would sign the cast too. As you can imagine, the look he gave me was priceless. He signed it though. 6th grade at the time, so I also didn't appreciate how big these guys were.

Worst - Hank Aaron - While I was sitting on a bench with no one else around, out comes Hank. He was meeting a couple of people, who I guess were his friends. He calls me over and asks to borrow a pen so he could sign something for them. I give it to him and wait closely by as he signed and talked with them another 5 minutes or so. He finishes up with them and gives me my pen back. I ask if he can sign one for me and he just walks away. No one else around. Never got him once. *&%$