View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 02:41 AM
Marc S.

Hi Kevin-

I don't know what you originally posted (and subsequently deleted), but I think prices on T206 miscuts are likely to retain good value over time.

Now, was there a blip in prices that brought them up to the stratosphere? Perhaps. But I don't see prices going much below their current levels. I know I recently purchased a severe miscut for my personal collection that, although traded a few times publicly, will unlikely see the light of day for many years.

We've seen a lot of changes in T206 collecting and valuation over the past 10-15 years. One thing that is clear to me is that demand for T206s increases in a way that is not seen in other period sets (such as T205, T207, some of the E* series). Whether prices increase because of hoarding (Titus), scarce backs, proofs, or misprints, I think the past 15 years have shown a general "up and to the right" dynamic on pricing of the rare and esoteric from this set. Given that a beater scarce back can go in the thousands, and that the number of severe miscuts is very very small, I would imagine that the correction we've seen is likely to be a bottom from a pricing perspective.

Marc

(Collector of T206 Phillies - from high grade common backs, to scarce backs, to proofs, to miscuts)