View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 08:23 AM

This is one of the clearest photos of a ballplayer of the 19th Century that I've seen. Here is what I know about Albert "Old Reliable" Kenney who was born in Truxton, NY in 1861:

His first professional season was probably with the Norwich club in the Central NY League in 1886. His salary was $500 plus all expenses paid and made him a wealthy man. In 1887, he played RF for Danbury of the Eastern League. One manager felt he was the best right fielder in the minors. He left Danbury and then played for Elmira. In 1888, he played for Elmira in the Central League, and then Waterloo and Seneca Falls in the Central NY League. In 1889, he played for Canandaigua of the NY State League. In 1890, he was the player-manager for Olean in the NY-Penn League.

My notes indicate he also played in 1891 for Olean, but I can't verify that. Kenney let John McGraw watch and participate in Elmira practices whenever he could. After his pro career was over he managed the Truxton town team for many years. McGraw took him on the 1913/1914 World Tour as his guest.