View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 08:15 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Default Exceedingly rare mantle rawlings store display

I am offering something you simply do not see every day.

This is part of a extremely rare Mickey Mantle Rawlings Cardboard Store Display Sign circa 1956.

Originally the sign was a large-format cardboard sign, which measured an impressive 31 x 19.5 inches, featured a photo of Mantle in uniform on the right, and an illustration of the glove ("The Finest in the Field") on the left. As seen below.

The sign above sold at Robert Edwards Auctions for $3851 in 2012 (link below) and I have not been able to find a single sale of another anywhere else. REA states "its rarity is such that anyone holding out hopes of finding a better example will most likely be disappointed in the long run. This is the only example we've ever seen!"

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...glove-display/

What I am offering is the right half of this sign, as it seems the original owner cut out the Mantle portion to hang on his or her wall. The sign shows some signs of wear, but the wear actually adds to the display value in my opinion. The back of the sign is stamped Reeves, which is believed to be a sporting good store from the 50's. This is truly a gem and a must have for that true Mantle collector.

$2000 or best reasonable offer. Will also entertain high end trade pieces.