Thread: Post national
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 07:08 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
I don't understand why so many people bitch about prices at National.

#1 The reason there is a National is because dealers pay for booths to display their cards. They have to cover that cost somehow.

#2 If your target is high-end/in-demand cards, and you've been to National previously and have seen the high prices on such cards, why are you expecting anything different this year, or the next time you go?

#3 High-end, in-demand cards command an in-person premium because you can physically see, touch, and examine the card in person before purchasing. You can also take it home with you that day if you so choose to purchase it. They're also priced the way they are because someone will probably purchase it either at that price or negotiate to slightly lower.

#4 Enjoy what National is - a gathering of fellow collectors enjoying a hobby we all love.

Admittedly, I did not go this year, but I will be going next year when it's in my backyard in Cleveland. I did go last year, and was disappointed in the selection provided by dealers, but I still enjoy walking around and seeing all of the cool things and talking with the dealers. That's what it is supposed to be about.
I agree...how many times on a card for sell online do you get questions about a dot on the card or what looks like a scratch. If a card stands up to scrutiny in person then its worth more and theres a convenience of buying it immediately. Also buying 'off the books' is worth something when you go to resell the card as every seller likes to say 'i have more into the card than you offered' which wouldnt work if you bought the card a week ago in an online auction..