Thread: Post national
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 07:05 AM
Be.n C0z1n

In response to the above post, I agree that at the national, the dealers start in the hole with expenses, therefore higher prices on premium cards can be expected. My issue is that even at smaller shows where tables are $40-$60 for the day, stuff seems to be overpriced. Not with everyone, but I certainly don't find many dealers "adjusting" prices for smaller shows.
Now to flip it on the customer, I set up at a show a couple years back with some cards I was determined not to take home. It was pretty funny putting it back on the customer when they really have no intention of buying. Two examples- 1) Customer asks about my 1957 topps football set. I tell him I need $550 for the entire set. Now keep in mind most dealers would be asking $550 for just the Bart Starr card which was vg-vg+ Soft corners, but no creasing, 80/20 centering left to right. This put the guy in a panic, as he really didn't want to even give $50 for the set. I ended up selling it to Henry of Lee's Galleries for the $550 I wanted. Example number two was I had a pretty nice Bradshaw Rookie. Guy asks how much I want. I tell him to pay whatever he wants, he says 30 dollars, I say fine. He tells me he doesn't have 30 dollars, but to his credit he borrows from someone and gets the deal done. In closing one thing I can't understand for the life of me is why the national would turn away anyone who wanted to vend due to lack of space. This hobby needs all the new faces it can get from a dealer standpoint and they say no, despite having space? Hey Chicago, that's a thumbs down in my book.