View Single Post
Old 07-04-2017, 01:28 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I really don't see where Larry's rant directly addresses my point. My point is NOT about the most valuable or desirable collectibles and their prices but about the rising tide lifting all boats. How are price trends over the last 50 years on big little books? Hopalong Cassidy collectibles? Of course the best of all collectibles will rise over time with the market. But what about those crazy prices on 1986 topps Ryne Sandberg, or some obscure issue like a hocus focus? I believe that over time, as the generation that buys out of nostalgia dies out the replacement collectors will value things differently. That's all I said. My other point was that intrinsic value sets a hard floor, i.e. Silver dollars don't drop below melt value, something cards don't have. I am happy with my collection and my budget. No sour grapes here. When I was younger (I'm 35 now) a lot of my friends collected. I'm the only one who still does, and I'm a casual collector. Maybe using the National and a baseball card forum is not the best indicator of the proportion on collectors in relation to the general population.

Post edited due to my own obnoxiousness.

Last edited by Econteachert205; 07-04-2017 at 02:24 PM.