View Single Post
Old 07-04-2017, 02:49 AM
Larry

I met Jeter once, in Boston outside his hotel in Boston for the 1999 All-Star game. When quite politely asked for his autograph on a single ball being used to gather the signatures of as many all-stars as possible as merely a personal momento, he gruffly, even insultingly growled, "I only sign for the kids." And he was signing for kids--kids that were being fed balls by two dealers sitting back away from the action down by the curb! The insinuation Jeter made was that an adult must be some sort of bum who couldn't possibly be a fan, and was just out to get his signature to sell the ball because he couldn't make money any other way. I think this dork actually thought the Yankees paid his salary, instead of the fans, through admission tickets, concessions, and parking, and buying TV and radio sponsors' products. He couldn't even conceive of the reality that the Yankees were just a conduit for the fans' money he was receiving as his pay! He is two-faced, having one image he projects for public consumption when the spotlight is on him, and another only shown when there is not a large audience and he feels he can behave as he likes. Jeter could use an entire course of lessons in manners from the likes of Hank Aaron, Harmon Killebrew and Frank Howard.

Joe Torre and Tony Gynn showed far more class, although I liked Tony's test: He asked if I minded where he signed it, meaning the sweet spot or not, as a way of ascertaining my intentions. Of course I replied, "Tony, it doesn't matter at all--sign wherever you like." He liked that answer, and did. Both were true gentleman, willing to give back to the game. Which brings to mind a question I once asked Lem Barney, who I came to know personally when we went to the same church from 1998 to 2004, and lived for a time in my own home: "Lem, do you know how many All-Pro players there would be without any fans willing to fund the action?" He got the answer right: "None."

Anyway, Jeter jas never been on my favorites list, and while I collect HOF'ers, I don't want or need his card, as he certainly doesn't make mine.

Happy collecting,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 07-04-2017 at 02:57 AM.