View Single Post
Old 07-02-2017, 01:21 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
If it wasn't for the crazy prices paid for cards, I don't think we'd still have an organized hobby. The crazy prices are what drove the hobby in the 80s and 90s and one of the reasons many of us joined the hobby (initially anyway). Not sure why there is such hate for people based solely on their economic means. I'm sure some are investing in baseball cards, but some I'm sure are also chasing the gorgeous cards they admired as kids. I sat down for breakfast with one of the wealthiest collectors I know, and we discussed our shared passions. Sure, he's buying the PSA 10s and I'm buying the PSA 1s. But, I'm not sure the grounds for being angry.
I'm not sure the escalating prices are what makes things great. There are many pure collectors who would love to see a more relaxed hobby without the super-competitiveness we have now. I'm certainly not angry at the people who spend big money on cards, but I would be very happy with a smaller and less expensive hobby.

And I don't believe all the publicity the industry gets is such a great thing either. Just offering a different viewpoint. To each his own.