View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 12:22 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Which is why I have a lot of items listed for each player...to each his own. If you like only "standard size" individual cards, great (it's listed). Individual photos? Team photos? Large sized individual cards, team cards, postcards, pins, newspaper stock, supplements? Regional vs. nationally issued cards?...major league uniform only vs minor league uniform vs suit/tie/street clothes photos...how 'bout early childhood photos? Again, to each his own.

While there isn't consensus on what makes an item a "rookie" card, I tend to think that any card/photo/item that makes its way onto my checklist (which is constantly being updated), then it's a "rookie card" in my book. Even if it's not a contemporary card (like the 1974 Laughlins for many Negro League HOFers). I love learning of new/obscure items to add to my checklist, even if it's a virtually unobtainable item (either for financial reasons or scarcity). If anyone is interested, my checklist is simply an extension of Phil's checklist from years ago along with those cards that "check all the boxes".
Your list is very comprehensive and fantastic. As someone who defines rookie card very loosely I see plenty there I would deem a rookie issue though maybe not a rookie card. You have cabinets, postcards, traditional cards, photos etc and my point is that many here would reject many of those listed a rookie cards.

To me a rookie "card" is pretty simple. It is the first time a player appears on an item that has any intended or actual distribution to the public. Does not matter about the size, whether or not it has advertising, whether it was issued nationally or locally or if it features that player in the minor leagues.