View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 11:19 PM
Kris

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Kris, my blueprint case is by no means vintage, though I've owned it since 1989. It is jet black and reasonably heavy metal. You have a good point about storing vintage cards in an old wooden cabinet. Regardless, I am pleased with the heavy-duty case, as it beautifully does what I intended.

I mentioned the merits of choosing a couple different colors for the velvet pads. However, besides the aforementioned benefit of shielding my prized cards et al from the ultraviolet rays of the sun, there is one other essential benefit. It's tough to put into words, but I'll have a go, then let it go at that.

Displaying my collection of "favorites" in a 5-drawer case allows me not to see my items whenever I enter the room. I really don't want to see my prized pieces every single time I go in. There's a saying, "familiarity breeds contempt", and I liken the meaning to my collection in that I don't want to ever get bored seeing them too frequently. After a time, a subtle feeling of the collection losing its special allure and attractiveness would set in.

Not everyone would feel the same way if they saw their cards, etc. every day, but that's me. So, the black case also shields my eyes and attention, except for when I want to admire them.

Some items have to be in a bank safe deposit box, but that's life.

Here I go getting verbose again. You poor guy. Take care, Kris. Have a swell weekend. ---Brian Powell (Indiana Jones on the PSA chat forums)
This is awesome Brian. Keep it coming. It's never too much. I have only gotten back into collecting in the last 3 years after a 25 year absence. Right now I have 2 large cases that are designed to hold 50 graded cards a piece. It's UV Glass but I'm not sold. My home office is the spot, but I like the idea of not seeing them all the time.