View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 05:21 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
When money is involved crazy things can happen. No doubt. I remember a few years ago at the bank I work for a branch manager downstairs got busted stealing funds from an elderly clients line of credit and it was shocking. She ran out of the bank but was quickly caught and is sitting in jail. Apparently she had a gambling problem and was covering her losses with their money.

That said because of the nature of their business, a third party graders business model is based on objectivity and the entire thing comes crashing down if collusion exists and they know that and I feel very confident there are safe guards in place to insure this doesn't happen.

The only whiff of this I have ever read about was when the Doug Allen case busted wide open and the owner of SGC was potentially implicated. Nothing ever came of it from what I have read.

****Notice their used correctly. Haha
Totally agree. One of my two BST incidents involved a guy who had worked at a bank, and presume knew intimately how their deposit systems worked. Nothing provable bit it was all very suspicious. If it was indeed a scam, then i'd expect it was just another example of someone who knew how things worked from the inside, and knew well how to game the system. All ended well enough for me, in that my bank's fraud services eventually (1.5-2 yrs later) reimbursed my prior loss. I presume the allaged, or whomever the scammer made out with his money, though nothing was provable.

Re- TPG, I'd very much hate for any of these scenarios to come true, as it would have a huge impact on my collection's value. Though I don't really ever submit to TPGs, I (like many here) own a lot of graded stuff. Hope that horror story never plays out.