View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 10:01 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal Lance Boil View Post
I agree with your premise that card grading can be performed, or at least interact, with computers.

But I am curious how you think novelists, scientists, or surgeons will be replaced by computers? Architects I don't know, as that is straight mathematics, as best I can tell, but I am not an architect.

Tony Colacino
The creative processes are more complicated than,say, grading cards or harvesting corn, but we've already had computers passing the Turing test for many years, and I don't see anything qualitatively different between generating a new conversation in real time and generating a novel. Once you accept that there isn't anything magical about organic material, such as brains, it's just a question of how long it will take before AI is more advanced than humans in any particular domain. And that should take off pretty quickly (to say the least) once you have AI with the ability to make engineering improvements to itself.

The specific comments are mine, but the general idea is the same as what Nick Bostrom and others have been saying for years. The Sam Harris TED talk from last year is a good synopsis.