View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 01:55 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
It's not sport's related, but it's my "I'll do this one day." My dad was a gear head and I inherited the majority of his classic car collection when he passed five years ago. He could break a car down to last bolt and put it back together. When we settled his estate my younger brother and sister each chose a show ready car he had completely restored and I took everything else. A 1956 Bel Air, 1964 Impala SS, 1976 Chevelle SS, 1973 Camaro, 1958 Chevy Apache, 1940 Ford Coupe, 1983 Monte Carlo, and a 1990 Chevy Silverado Blazer all in various stages from "rust bucket" to half-way finished. They're all stored in a garage larger than my house with enough parts lining the walls on steel stacks ( the stacks that Lowes uses) to rebuild them three times over.

I really want to get one restored (ideally all), but at least one. I priced out having someone restore one, but I'd really love to do it myself. Problem is I'm automotive illiterate. I've got every part, manual, tool, and piece of equipment at my disposal and zero knowledge. I even took a weekend once and decided I would single out the one I have the shot at completing, match parts to it, and see where it stands. It resulted in me staring at Egyptian hieroglyphics (it seemed) for about three hours and walking away.

I know absolutely nothing more about cars than changing tires and oil, but I'm going to restore that damn 56 myself if I die trying.
That Bel Air, Impala, and Camero will be fun! Good Luck!