View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
I was in very early for my "marker" bids. However, a couple of weeks ago, on a Friday, I was looking as the 46/49 leaf short prints and put in a $6500 bid.

I have every intention of building that set one day but I have a bunch of priorities in front of it. After about a week, I was still showing high bidder and was rehearsing my speech to my wife - we well as contemplating breaking them
up and selling individually to get my money back - knowing full well that I would regret it when it came time to build the set.

Eventually the outbid notice came and the price soared to 14k before BP so it wasn't even close but I have to find the disable bid button when the wine is flowing for future reference.
Great story! I had a similar experience. I have a 1948 Leaf Paige in a PSA 4, but i want an upgrade. A few auctions ago, a Paige in an SGC 84 came up and I threw in a bid at $47k, thinking I would be outbid, and if I won (and I thought no way), it was a card I would not regret owning. Like 10 days went by and I remained the high bidder. As the days went by I became more convinced (and nervous) that i was going to be the high bidder. There were numerous lots I did not bid on because I thought I was coughing up $55k+ w/ BP on the Paige. And, like you, I was trying to figure out how i could justify the purchase to the wife (who is totally on board with my cardboard addiction, but $55k+++??). Finally, i became resigned to the card and actually excited I was getting it at that price. Then, in extended bidding, the text came in that I was outbid and the card climbed higher than $60k without the juice (although i dont think the hidden reserve was met because the same card showed up a few months later in the AH's next auction). I was so relieved and upset at the same time, and I missed my chance to get other items to boot. But at least I have a story, and now, a place to tell it

Awesome proof Michael!! Congrats

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 05-01-2017 at 11:57 AM.